On Thursday, October 15, at 10:15 a.m., the University will conduct an earthquake drill. The campus community will be notified of the beginning of the drill through our AceAlert Emergency Notification System. We encourage everyone to take an active part in this drill. Upon notification, the following steps should be taken:
• Go to the safest location in your building/room
• DROP to the floor or ground (before the earthquake drops you!)
• COVER your head and neck with your arms and seek additional shelter by getting under a sturdy desk or table if nearby; and
• HOLD ON to your shelter and be prepared to move with it until the shaking stops.
• Stay away from bookshelves, windows, etc.
• REMAIN IN POSITION FOR AT LEAST 60 SECONDS DURING THE DRILL.
In a real earthquake, after the shaking has stopped, all members of the campus community would be required to report to the designated assembly points:
• If you are south of the Memorial Plaza fountain: - South end of the Sesquicentennial Oval, away from trees
• If you are north of the Memorial Plaza fountain: - Black Beauty soccer field at Arad McCutchan Stadium
WE WILL NOT DO THIS FOR THE DRILL
Now is the time to think about how you can better prepare yourself, in the event the “big one” strikes. Some things to consider:
• Everyone should sign up for our Emergency Notification System (AceAlert) at https://www.getrave.com/login/evansville
• How will I communicate with my family should the “big one” strike. Cell phone and landline phones may now be available if towers or lines or down.
• Everyone should have an emergency kit in your car and home and an out-of-state contact you and your family can call to check-in after a major earthquake.
For preparedness and resources specific to the University of Evansville, visit these websites:
• Safety & Security - http://www.evansville.edu/safety/
• Residence Life - http://www.evansville.edu/residencelife/
• AceLink - https://acelink.evansville.edu/Files/UEEmergencyProcedures.pdf