The current heat wave is certainly a dangerous event. Please respect not only the heat, but the presence of harmful chemical in the air such as ozone.
People with lung disease, children, older adults, and anyone who is active outdoors can be affected when ozone levels are unhealthy. Numerous scientific studies have linked ground-level ozone exposure to a variety of problems, including:
• airway irritation, coughing, and pain when taking a deep breath;
• wheezing and breathing difficulties during exercise or outdoor activities;
• inflammation, which is much like a sunburn on the skin;
• aggravation of asthma and increased susceptibility to respiratory illnesses like pneumonia and bronchitis; and,
• permanent lung damage with repeated exposures.
The nurse will be in Ridgway lobby this Thursday, Aug. 4, 9 a.m.–11 a.m. If you have health care questions or just want to check your blood pressure or blood sugar, please stop by.